Last night, oldest son Dave and friends were at the Cardinals-Mets game at the new Citi Field in Queens. He texted me when he arrived. These were tickets from the 15-game package (10 Sunday games) I've maintained even these past two years of living in Virginia -- and since he works in NYC and lives in NJ, he uses most of the weekday game tickets.
When I texted him back that yet another Mets starter -- center fielder Carlos Beltran -- had been placed on this disabled list -- joining first baseman Carlos Delgado, shortstop Jose Reyes and a litany of pitchers -- he texted me back the following:
"Who's on first, what's on second and the only one I know (David Wright -- the last man standing from the team's core) is on third"
It is true, the Mets injury situation this year has become almost as silly as the famous Abbott and Costello "Who's on First? routine. Except Mets fans are not laughing, though Yankees and Phillies fans probably are.
Just one of those years I guess, and so far, through it all, we remain just 1 1/2 games behind the Phillies in the National League East. That bubble likely will burst -- you can only survive with a lineup of reserves and minor league call-ups for so long. And the Phillies, who by comparison have suffered very few injuries, aren't going to play badly enough to keep us in the race the whole season. Right?
Anyway, I'll see this mess first hand this week. I'm going to the Wednesday night game with Dave and Thursday afternoon game with former Daily Record colleagues Bill and Fred. I'm guessing the minor league lineup won't result in any minor league prices.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh the Mets... what are we to do with them?
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know I fixed the commenting issue =) Before, you had to be a registered user and follow your blog before you could comment. Now anyone can. So no worries!
<3 Meg
I still need to find time to get to Citi Field! Silly Work getting in the way!
ReplyDelete