I was born and raised and learned to drive in New York City. So, while I have lived in mostly suburban areas the past 30 years or so, it never takes more than a few minutes back in the Big Apple to get my city driving legs back.
This week, I visited Queens to take in a pair of Mets games at the new Citi Field in Flushing. (Great park, by the way.) The old skills were much in demand as I wended my way through construction, heavy traffic and accidents -- sometimes all at once.
Driving in NYC requires constant vigilance, a fearless attitude and a don't take any crap from anyone philosophy. It's not that I like driving like that, but with people willing to cut you off at any moment, last second lane changers and ...OK there's no other way top say this .. and oversupply of complete idiots...there is no other way to approach things.
My one regret from this otherwise fun week -- hey the Mets won both games and I saw my son and a good friend -- is that my 2007 Honda CRV has such a pathetically wimpy sounding horn. It's hard to get your displeasure or warning shot across when your horn sounds like some little baby clown car. Gonna have to look into replacing it.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment