Generally, I hate contrived non-word words like this, but "furcation" does seem to be the widely-accepted way to describe being off for a week without pay...which I am this week.
This is the third such week of the year, and of course the year is not yet half over. No way yet to know if there will be further pay-less weeks the rest of the year as the newspaper industry overall and Gannett Co. Inc. look to redefine themselves in the vanishing print newspaper era. I imagine there will be some further cuts in the second half of the year
Bottom line, we're going to have to find some way to:
1. Convince advertisers of the value of the web views vs. traditional newspaper pages.
2. We've got to develop a workable way to get at least some content paid for.
We let the genie out of the bottle with free content long ago, so the latter is going to be very difficult unless universally adopted somehow without violating anti-trust laws.
Anyway, I've have found it is important to have things planned during these weeks of "furcation," and I do have something planned each day this week...from a class I am taking to going to the District with daughter Megan to a couple of Mets games and a Rascal Flatts concert with my wife Mary as we celebrate our 28th anniversary next Saturday. More on that on a future post.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great blog! I'm also on somewhat of a furcation, except that being freelance, it's not really official...the work just trickles in instead of pouring like it was six months ago. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteYou can catch up on Kuebler happenings at http://kueblermen.blogspot.com and http://littlegoodride.blogspot.com . Both need to be updated...maybe I'll do that this week. :)
Lisa