7.23.2009

This and that about that and this

As our family vacation is now just a couple of days away. some odds and ends to ponder while I'm away from web and computer access:

  • I don't know everything that happened at Henry Louis Gates' home when police arrested him, apparently largely for his reaction to their questions, but I do know this. Nobody who is not a minority can really know what it is like to have suspicion raised just because of the color of your skin.
  • Where you stand on health care reform probably largely depends on where you sit. If you are reasonable healthy and like your current coverage, why would you want change. if you have no coverage and your kids have no coverage and you need it desperately, why wouldn't you support an overhaul. The bottom line? Most of us are one catastrophe away from being wiped out by the cost of care. It simply should not be that you risk everything you own if you happen to have an unfortunate illness of accident.
  • Trying to stop delivery of the multiple free newspapers we receive each week while we're on vacation was quite a chore, and I have no confidence that I was successful. As devoutly in favor of a free press as I am for obvious reasons, it should be my choice if I receive a publication on my driveway or not. And when i say stop, that should be that. One woman I spoke with told me there was nothing she could do. Nonsense!
  • I wonder why so few priests I encounter are really good at preaching. I remember those who have been very well and appreciated every one of their homilies. But so many others are dry, overly-scholarly or simply phoning it in. Seems to me being passionate and really reaching people should be a pretty important qualification to be a priest. Maybe we should hire some of the Protestant ministers I see on TV to coach our clergy. Or gee, maybe we should allow women to be priests and broaden the field of effective preachers.
  • I now officially set aside my soapbox for a week.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment