I know this is going to sound harsh and unfeeling, but I cannot recall a single time I have cried when someone famous died.
The worst I ever remember feeling at the death of a celebrity was when Harry Chapin, whose music and personality I loved, died in a car accident in 1981.
I had seen him in several concerts and respected him greatly for his tireless work for World Hunger Year. I played his songs constantly on my guitar (still do from time to time) and he was more important to me than any musician has been before or since.
But I don't recall shedding any tears.
The photos and video I've seen in the aftermath of Michael Jackson's death got me thinking about this and wondering why so many people seem so distraught.
Is there something wrong with me?
Then I did a little informal unscientific survey at my office and found only one out of a dozen or so people I asked ever remembered crying when a celebrity died -- one guy said he did when John Lennon was shot.
I cried long and hard when my mom and dad passed away. I suspect I always will when faced with the death of a close loved one.
But a celebrity I never met? Not so far.
I'd be interested to hear from those who have experienced such emotion when a famous person they never met died and get a sense of what moved them to that point.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment