8.05.2009

After the glow

Well, the vacation afterglow is officially gone.

I'm not sure I can pin down precisely when its last glimmer faded, but I think it was near the end of my second day back to work as a variety of forces beyond my control made for a long, frustrating day.

Ah well..it is better to have glowed and lost than to have never glowed at all.

It was a great week..mostly terrific beach weather at Ocean City, Md., outside of a freakish storm that included hail on a 90-degree afternoon. Go figure.

I completed four books, finally making a dent in the stack of books I have been meaning to read. Three of our four kids were able to be with us -- Dave, Dan and Megan -- and Dan's friend Rob showed up for a few days. We really missed Katie and husband Nick, but such is the life of a high-powered retail executive when there is a new Target store to open.

The Mets won five straight games while we were gone -- perhaps we could convince them to pay us to stay on vacation and away from any ability to watch them. They started losing again just as we were readying our trip home. Coincidence? I think not.

It'll be off to college for Dan (transferred to George Mason) and Megan (starting at William & Mary) in a few weeks, and then the experience of a home without full-time resident kids for the first time since Dave was born in July, 1983. That ought to be interesting.

More to come.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment