I used to love watching "The West Wing," and still enjoy popping in the DVD every now and reliving favorite episodes. That show, especially in its early seasons, was unparalleled in its writing and overall excellence. Aaron Sorkin rules!
The most-often repeated lines written for Martin Sheen's President Bartlett character were both two-word phrases:
When he felt his staff hadn't been as sharp as they needed to be he'd admonish: "Break's over."
And when he wanted to move on, he'd end the conversation and say: "What's next?" Invariably, there were any number of choices to answer that question.
I find myself thinking "What's next?" quite a bit lately. Having reached the point where our fourth and last child is about to leave for college, I have no intention of hanging around in the empty nest.
What's next?
Well, there's always working your butt off and trying to expand horizons at work. Check. Benn there. Still doing that.
There's planning fun things to do with Mary...trips, plays, outings with friends, making new friends, reuniting with old ones. Got it. Will do.
I'm also enrolled in a class that starts this weekend, learning to do voice-over work. It'll be interesting and challenging to see how that pans out.
I've thinking also about taking on some free-lance assignments. And, I'm looking for the right volunteer opportunity. Thinking it could be with Habitat for Humanity, or maybe something working with kids. We'll see.
The good news is, there's lots of fuel left in my tank. I'm revved up and ready to go on to "what's next."
Because break's over.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment