5.04.2010

I know, I know..it's been a long time

OK, so it's been more than a month since I last posted.
To the legion of people who have clearly not been holding their breath, all I can say is blogging has not yet made it to my priority list.
It should. Both professionally at USA TODAY and personally, I certainly read enough of them during the course of a normal day and week.
But gathering my own thoughts and putting them in writing on any kind of a frequent basis has been a struggle.
I used to write a weekly Sunday column at the Daily Record in Morris County, N.J.. But that's been three years now (as of May 14) and I have not missed that as much as I once thought I might.
Maybe it's because I no longer have young kids around providing endless fodder for commentary.
Maybe it's because it's no longer part of my job.
Whatever, let's just say I've not been motivated.
I got to thinking this week that it would be a good idea to make myself get back in gear on this writing thing.
Millions of people, for reasons passing understanding. think it's worth sharing their daily thoughts.
I'm not about to go that far. But I am going to try to do this weekly and see how it goes.
For starters, some thought about my experience this past Sunday night attending the Mets-Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.
It was a great night, the seats were good, and oldest son Dave and I had a nice dinner at McFadden's before the game.
His boss had given him the tickets, so the price was clearly right.
The Mets got clobbered -- the Phillies scored nine runs in the fourth inning -- so obviously I didn't enjoy that part of it.
the ballpark, I must say, is terrific -- I like it better than most of the new ones. (Though not, of course, better than Citi Field)
But I do have to wonder about the fans. When the Phillies were bombarding the Mets' alleged ace, Johann Santana, for those nine runs, it was clear they were happier about thrashing him than they were about the great things their home team players were doing.
Shane Victorino hits' a grand slam, and almost immediately, a "Johann sucks!" went up. When the Mets have a game like that - not often enough -- I'm all about how our guy or guys did it.
there were other examples -- but in total, a there was a lot more anti-Mets jeering than pro-Phillies cheering all night long.
Seems like some city's fans, despite all their recent success, still have a giant NYC chip on their shoulders.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment