1.07.2010

A touch of procrastination

I thought I might do it on Jan. 1. I was off with little to do but flip between college bowl games that I didn't care much about.
Then I figured I'd at least get around to it over the weekend of Jan. 2-3. But again, I put it off for no particular reason.
So here I am -- at least still within the first week of 2010 -- putting words to this blog.
I've decided this year that big resolutions with big goals don't make a whole lot of sense.
It's the little things you adjust that really matter -- as long as those things are for the better.
Little things are easier to track and remember, I think.
For example, I decided the first day back to work I was going to say hello to a few people I too often just breezed by on the way to my desk each morning.
Like the security guard at the front desk.
And the early morning web page guy.
So far, so good. As of today I'm 4-for-4, and each time I walk in I have remembered I want to be sure to say hello. They seem to like it. At least they've said hello or good morning back.
I also decided I wanted to pay attention to the money I spend on unnecessary things. So each time I take Route 7 to and from work and avoid the toll road, I am marking down in a little book the $1.50 in tolls I save each way. I am also keeping track of all the days that I bring my lunch instead of buying it, all the times I make myself a cup of tea or coffee at work (it's free) instead of buying something and all the times I make myself a cup of ice water instead of plunking $1.25 into the soda and water bottle machine.
It adds up. First three days I figured I saved $12.75.
Of course, I continue to make sure I walk every day or at least ride the exercise bike in the basement when it is too cold. I'm on a 10-day in a row streak since Dec. 29. (Yea! An early start.)
And, as usual in January, I am eating better, having a few less glasses of wine and generally taking better care of myself.
I dropped about 30 pounds last year and hope to drop more this year. The key, I have learned long after so many other smart people, is that taking it one day at a time is the only way to succeed.
Long-term goals and big plans are less effective for me, I have found.
Still, I do have a few larger ones.
To find new volunteer opportunities.
To get back into the freelance writing market and try to break into doing voice overs now that I've had the training and done a demo.
To spend as much time enjoying family and friends as I can.
And to not let weeks go by before I put a few thoughts down on this blog my daughter Megan created for me last Father's Day.
For now though, I'll drink water, avoid the donuts that are sitting on the counter and plan to take Route 7 home to save another $1.50.
Later.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one, Dennis! It's true that little things make a difference. I'm trying
    to save some money, so I'm starting to bring some Earl Grey tea bags from home instead of going to the coffee shop and to order a cup of hot water (free) from a restaurant instead of getting coffee. I'm also having water with lemon instead of soda in restaurants.
    I'm glad, too, that you're remembering to greet people. I'm sure that makes a difference in their day--as well as yours.
    (I'm using "anonymous" because I don't have another "connection"--but this is from your cousin Arlene.)

    ReplyDelete