I not only went to college, I graduated with two degrees and went on to get a Master's. Plus, I was educated in part by Jesuits.
I don't hunt.
I don't fish.
I don't drive a truck.
I don't drink much beer.
I like to read things that challenge me.
With all those qualities in hand I have come to accept two things:
- I will never be the subject of a country music song.
- And Sarah Palin will probably never consider me a real American.
We're just not folksy enough. We think being educated is a positive.
As for me, there's this other major character flaw I've borne for more than 30 years.
I work in the media.
It's a wonder they let me vote and have a drivers license.
Later.

Thanks for making me laugh :) And it's so true.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't drink beer, hunt or fish, or care to do any one of the above and I have a Master's degree and consider education very important, I think that Sarah Palin and I have several things in common that would make us (and some of your other relatives as well) allies:
ReplyDelete1. I am a woman with a career.
2. I am a Christian.
3. I am strongly pro-life.
4. I work with small children with special needs.
5. I am a Republican.
Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamed that someday a woman would become President of the US. So far two women, Geraldine Ferraro (an alum of my alma mater,
Marymount Manhattan College) and Sarah Palin
have been Vice Presidential nominees. For the past several years most prominent women politicians who have come to the forefront have been pro-choice (as well as liberal Democrats) and it has been a heartbreaking dilemma between conflicting desires (pro-life candidate vs. woman candidate). Sometimes I've had to vote against a woman in order to vote for a pro-life candidate.
Finally along came Sarah Palin, a bright and articulate pro-life Christian woman Republican with a proven track record as mayor and governor and a woman who has not only talked the pro-life talk but has walked the pro life walk in choosing life for her baby with Down syndrome. A woman who speaks for herself and is not dictated to by political hacks. At first the media applauded her as refreshing but somehow in the midst of Campaign 2008 things turned sour and she was mocked instead.
I'm not sure I am in full approval of her resignation as Governor of Alaska, since I believe that people should fulfill their commitments to the extent they are able, but I am glad that she has written a book and is still plugging away.
Maybe Sarah Palin will be able to overcome and eventually be the one to fulfill my dreams of having a pro-life Christian woman Republican President. Maybe the timing is coming soon for a woman to lead our country--she can't do much worse than the men have been doing lately.
(I don't have an URL so I commented as "anonymous", but you probably knew pretty quickly that this comment is by your cousin Arlene.)