I was born in the 1950s.
I started high school in the 1960s.
I graduated college and got my first real job in the 1970s.
I met and married my wife and we had our first three (of four) children -- David, Katie and Danny in the 1980s.
In the 1990s, I really came into my own in my career, becoming top editor of two papers and winning president's rings as one of my company's top editors. We also had our fourth child - Megan.
This decade, I've made it to USA TODAY, seen two kids graduate college, sent two others on their way to college and survived -- so far -- in the struggling newspaper industry.
The other day I read a piece asking about which decade you felt was really yours.
Yes, it said, you've lived in all of them. but which one shaped you, had the biggest impact, influenced who you are?
For me, I think I did most of the defining of who I would become in the 1970s.
I love 60s music and the 69 Mets
I love my wife and kids.
I hate the fact that I most came of age in the days of disco
But that's the fact.
That's when I went from a naive, shy kid to almost and adult who could take care of himself.
That's when I started the career that has helped pay for those kids to go to college.
That's when I went on my first dates, kissed my first girl,. had my first girlfriend, had my first part-time job and met the most people I am still friends with today.
That's when I went to my first concert, my first car and my first job in the media.
Lots of stuff has happened all the other decades...hard to believe this first one of the new millennium is almost done.
But the 70s' made me who I am...Stayin' Alive.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment